Happy New Year! Hope everyone had a lovely and/or debaucherous night, depending on what you wanted. I personally stayed in with Linds, whom I have officially been best friends with for an entire decade now. We watched the first three episodes of Freaks and Geeks, which is pretty good so far. I remember watching it when it first came out (a decade ago, incidentally) and I was thirteen, and a lot of things definitely flew over my head back then. The weed jokes, for instance, and most of the excellent 70s rock references, and pretty much all of the irony.
This morning I’m up by myself because for some reason I can’t sleep past 9:00 AM anymore. It’s nice and quiet, and it’s given me some time to think about my New Year’s resolutions. Here are the ones I came up with:
- I resolve to make movement/physical activity a priority in my life.
- I resolve to make healthy eating a habit, and particularly to eat more whole foods and less processed foods.
- I resolve to take sustainable living more seriously — recycle more aggressively, unplug my appliances, chargers, and adapters when I’m not using them, stop idling my car in parking lots, waste less water, and to do all of the other things that I believe are helpful to sustaining resources but I let fall to the wayside because of habit.
- I resolve to use the many forms of technology I have at my disposal — email, Facebook, Twitter, texting, etc. — to reach out more often to the friends and family I don’t get to see on a regular basis.
- I resolve to be a better pet-owner to Huxley the hedgehog.
- I resolve to take as many steps as I can to moving out of my parents’ house and becoming independent: saving my small paycheck, putting extra effort in at work so they continue to express that they’d like to bring me on full-time, speaking to the director myself about wanting very badly to keep working for the library, and any other opportunities that may pop up.
- I resolve to branch out my reading to children’s literature and juvenile fiction, and of course, to keep reading and writing about Young Adult fiction.